JV-LinkDirectory - What is an Adspec and How to add one?
What is an Ad Spec?
Adspec defines the specification for an advertisement. Each adspec has a unique code that you must insert into one or more JV-LD templates using Style Manager. This also means that you can have the advertisement in different kinds of pages, by pasting the unique code in those pages. In other words, each Adspec defines one or more ad slots, where advertisements can be placed.
An Adspec consists of a title, description, unique code, specifications for banner ad and text ad or both. You can also define the maximum number of impressions for an ad spec. Impressions are also called Views. By default, the advertisement will be displayed till its expiration date or if the maximum number of impressions for it is reached, whichever occurs earlier. You can set the maximum number of impressions for ad of this specification, using this field.
A customer will be able to place his/her advertisement in a specific/purchased ad spec. JV-LD allows your customer to place text based ad or banner based ad. You can control the selection and more details by defining the required specification. Your specification must allow banner or text ad or both.
How to add an Adspec?
For adding an ad, you need to create an ad specification first and insert the ad code (of the added spec) into desired placed in JV-LD templates using JV-LD layout manager. Subsequently, you can add an ad for that spec. You can also earn money by defining a fee for advertising in your ad spec. JV-LD allows you to add text or banner ad or both types as well!
By default JV-LinkDirectory comes packed with 30+ adspecs or slots where you can allow ads to be placed. But in some rare cases you might want to create a custom or a new adspec in an area where it does not exist already. In such cases you need to add an adspec as given below:\
- Go to JV-LinkDirectory backend - Dashboard and click on 'Advertisement Specifications'
- Click on 'New' button.
- Provide a title for the adspec.
- Provide a description for the advertisement spec. This information will be displayed to the customer if you enable paid advertising
- Provide the maximum dimensions of the banner width and height that you want to allow for the ad that can be placed in this adspec.
- Each adspec has a unique code that needs to be added to JV-LD template files using the layout manager.
- Text Ad - Max # chars - Enter 0 if you do not want to allow text ads for this ad spec. JV-LD will not check the character count when customers adds his ad, but this will be shown to him for him to provide the ad with appropriate size
- Max # Ad Impressions - Impressions are also called Views. By default, the advertisement will be displayed till its expiration date or if the maximum number of impressions for it is reached, whichever occurs earlier. You can set the maximum number of impressions for ad of this specification, using this field. To set unlimited impressions, please provide a value of 0
- Action when no ad? - You can decide here what you want to show in the adspec space in site front-end when there is no advertisement for an adspec.
- Prepending HTML Code - This html code will be used to style the ad that will appear in the specification. This html code will be placed just before the ad
- Appending HTML Code - This html code will be used to style the ad that will appear in the specification. This html code will be placed just after the ad
- Click on the "Plans" tab and add your pricing plans. All these pricing plans will be shown to the visitor when they decide to advertise in this adspec. The visitor can choose one of the plans and proceed.
- You may create multiple fee plans for this adspec for site frontend. When users advertise via your site frontend, they will be shown these plans to choose from
- To set an unlimited duration, enter a value of -1 in the duration attribute
- To make it free, delete all plan records
- To provide a decimal value for price, always have atleast one digit before the decimal point. For example for 99 cents, please enter the value 0.99 . For 9 dollars and 95 cents, please enter 9.95.
- Save the adspec.